Baseball Taken Under by the Dolphins
The Trojan Baseball team competed at Brunswick Community College for a weekend series. The Trojans dropped all three games to the Dolphins, as the team struggled with scoring runs and costly errors.
The improved weather added to the fun of watching the games over the weekend. The Dolphins scored in each inning of the first game, while the Trojans only scored a few runs over 2 innings. Trevan Locklear has been the go-to pitcher for first games all season but had a tough time with keeping the Dolphins off base. He gave up 5 earned runs, while the Trojans scored just 3 for the game. Johnnie Lowery finished up the game, giving up 4 earned runs, and both pitchers gave up long balls. The Trojans fell in 5 innings, 3-13.
The second game was opened with starter, Tamiris Palmer, giving up 7 earned runs on 3 hits and 5 walks in the 1st inning. Owen Bodine came in and went 6 innings in relief. He gave up 3 earned runs on 8 hits and a walk. Bodine was effective with the bat as he, Zach Tanner, and Johnnie Lowery each doubled, with Lowery getting 2 RBIs (runs batted in). These were the only 3 hits of the game, as the Trojans dropped the second game, 4-12.
Sunday opened with more promise, as Tyler Dove was effective through 3 innings, and the Trojans jumped to a lead with Aaron Revels’ first homer of the year. An error to lead off the 4th inning led to 6 unearned runs in the inning. Bruce Elmore finished the game, allowing only 2 runs in 2 frames. The defense allowed a good outing by Dove to turn into a Trojan loss. Too many errors at critical times resulted in weekend losses for the Trojans.
The Lady Trojans did not have games this past week.
This week’s schedule:
- Thu., April 4, Away – at Florence-Darlington TC, 4 p.m., Florence, SC
- Sat., April 6, Home – v. Pitt Community College, 1 & 4 p.m., Trojan Field at JP Riddle Stadium
- Sun., April 7, Home – v. Pitt Community College, 12 noon, Trojan Field at JP Riddle Stadium
- Wed., April 3, Away – at Peace Univ., 2 & 4 p.m., Raleigh, NC
- Fri., April 5, Away – at Pitt Community College, 2 & 4 p.m., Winterville, NC
- Sat., April 6, Away – at Pitt Community College, 12 noon & 4 p.m., Winterville, NC