What:“I Am the Product of Rape” – the story of a victim who turned tragedy into hope (authors will be present)
When: Monday, April 15 – 11:00 – 11:45 AM
Where: Cumberland Hall Auditorium
Did you know?
- About 1 in 10 children will be sexually abused before their 18th birthday.
- About 1 in 7 girls and 1 in 25 boys will be sexually abused before they turn 18.
- Only about 38% of child victims disclose the fact that they have been sexually abused, and some never disclose this information.
- Only 10% of sexually abused children are abused by a stranger.
- Approximately 30% of children who are sexually abused are abused by family members.
- About 60% of children who are sexually abused by people the family trusts.
Sadly, the realization is that many children in our world suffer from sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, neglect, and other forms of abuse. The negative effects from childhood abuse have a tremendous impact on lifelong physical and mental health and wellness outcomes. As we consider the problem of sexual abuse of children, we are reminded that April has been designated as National Child Abuse Prevention Month.
Thank you for your interest in our guest speakers and authors who will share difficult, personal stories; special thanks to the FTCC Psychology Club and Student Activities Office for presenting this opportunity to remind our community about this serious concern affecting children.
Questions may be directed to Gerald Daniel (Director of Student Activities) at email@example.com.