Children’s Center Update
May 18, 2020
To the parents and guardians of children enrolled at FTCC’s Childcare Center:
With great regret, I must inform you that Fayetteville Technical Community College will not be reopening its Childcare Center.
This was not an easy decision. The center has been a point of pride for both FTCC and the community since its opening in 1996. It has always operated at the highest levels of excellence and has always held a top 5-star rated license from the state. For years, FTCC’s childcare center was a key learning laboratory for the College’s Early Childhood Education program.
In recent years, state and federal revenue sources for childcare have dwindled and the center has operated at a loss. The College used discretionary funds to supplement the center’s budget. Meanwhile, as more students in our Early Childhood Education program did their practicum hours at other childcare facilities, FTCC’s center became less aligned with the College’s overall mission.
The COVID-19 pandemic pushed the center’s finances and its future operation into untenable situations. The center has been closed since March 20 because of the pandemic. Its 30 employees have remained on the College’s payroll.
Besides financial issues, there was also great concern about safety and the challenges of operating the center at FTCC’s high standards with the additional restrictions that will be required because of the coronavirus.
As a result, at my recommendation, the College’s Board of Trustees voted today to close the center permanently. Not a one of us feels any pleasure in this decision. It is gut-wrenching.
The College plans to work with each employee on their options for the future.
For other childcare facilities, parents and guardians may want to consult the online directory operated by the N.C. Division of Child Development and Early Education. It can be found by visiting https://ncchildcare.ncdhhs.gov/ and then clicking on “Search for Child Care.” The directory may be searched in a variety of ways, including city, county, ZIP code and license type.
We are all deeply sorry at this turn of events. I want to thank you for supporting our Childcare Center. We wish you and your families all the best going forward.
Dr. J. Larry Keen
Resources for Parents
- COVID-19: Five Helpful Responses for Families | Conscious Discipline
- Free Access to Three Children’s Online Learning Activities
- Great Workbooks You Can Order!
- Kids 7 Minute Hit Workout for Self Regulation
- NC Office of Early Learning (Resources for Infants – 2nd Grade)
- Teaching Remotely for Grades K – 12 | Free Resources and Strategies
- What is the Coronavirus? 6 Therapeutic Activities for Children
FTCC’s Childcare Center will close at 5:30PM on Friday, March 20th until further notice.
|Letters to Childcare Center Families*||Additional Information*|
*Note: For accessibility assistance with these documents, please contact the FTCC’s Office of Disability Support Services at 910-678-8470.
FTCC Children’s Center
- Small group sizes – half the size of most Centers! • Nationally Accredited by the NAEYC
- 5-star rated license #26001112 • Green outdoor classrooms!
Receive high-quality child care! • Call today: 910-678-8560
Children's Center @ FTCC
FTCC children’s center is proud to have a 5-Star Rated License and maintains NAEYC Accreditation. Our mission is to provide a safe, creative, nurturing environment for your child that fosters his or her desire to learn. We have small group sizes with low staff-child ratios to provide the highest level of care.
Your child will enjoy engaged learning and play with age-appropriate playgrounds, classroom pets, and natural experiences such as hills, water play, and gardens. Best of all, you will have peace of mind knowing that your child is cared for by an educated staff that receives regular first aid, CPR, and ITS-SIDS training.
The FTCC Children’s Center provides full time child care only. Drop in care & hourly care are not available.
We are opened:
Registration Fee: $100
After School Care
The FTCC Children’s Center offers After School Care for Pre-K children through age 12. After school activities include provided snacks, homework, outside play, games, art, and field trips during teacher work days.
After School Care – 3:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Full Day Care – 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Registration Fee – $40
- Monthly Fee – $250
Full Day Care – $18 (for enrolled after school students)
Early Dismissal – Included in Monthly Tuition
After School Pick Up Locations
The FTCC Children’s Center bus will pick up children after school from these locations:
- Alma Easom Elementary
- Ashley Elementary School
- Glendale Acres Elementary
- Margaret Willis Elementary
- Vanstory Hills Elementary
Note: This list is subject to change.
- FTCC offers a fun, educational environment for your children during the summer!
- The summer program is packed full of enrichment and adventure for rising 1st through rising 7th graders.
- From the use of our top-notch campus to local trips and activities, the summer program at FTCC Children’s Center is where the summer excitement begins!
- We offer numerous field trips and daily nutritious meals including breakfast, a hot lunch, and afternoon snacks.