Frequently Asked Questions


What benefits will I get from participating in '4 the Health of It'?

Besides the obvious health benefits, you can acquire Professional Development hours for seminars offered, fitness programs completed, Weight Watchers at Work, etc. To attend classes and participate in programs you can be given a 1 1/2 hour lunch break, and prizes will be awarded for completion of wellness programs.

How can I lose weight?

Through smart exercise and healthy eating and to educate yourself!

Do I need to participate in resistance training, even if I don't want to become a 'bodybuilder'?

Yes you do. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns - even when you're not doing anything! Therefore when you do exercise, you burn calories more efficiently, and with the correct diet, you will lose weight faster.

Once I start working out, can I eat whatever I want?

NO!!! 1 pound of fat=3500 calories. Meaning that you must have a deficit of 500 calories per day to lose 1 pound of fat per week. Most people burn around 250 calories in a moderate workout, therefore you must cut 250 calories from your diet to make up the 500. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends a ratio of 60% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 15% fat to make up your daily diet.

How can I get fit without spending a lot money?

Our fitness center is only $5.00 from August - May and $5.00 for the eight weeks of Summer. You can also participate in activities such as walking and jogging that do not cost anything. You can attend free classes at the college or in the community. Many people lose weight and/or build muscle by just using good old fashioned push-ups, crunches, squats, lunges, etc.

Can you trust online health advice?

The answer is sometimes, but you have to know where to look. offers smart information, news and advice from top-notch doctors and other experts.  trusted sources and current information can also be found on sites run by academic institutions and government offices (these usually ending in .edu or .gov).  

Websites that may be helpful