What is Developmental Math Redesign?
The North Carolina Community College System has initiated a redesign of its developmental math sequence in order to achieve better outcomes for the colleges' largest population of academically under-prepared students. When the developmental math redesign began in North Carolina, a Math Redesign Task Force was appointed by nominations solicited from each of the North Carolina Community Colleges. The task force was given principles to strive for in the redesign.
These principles included the following:
- The new curriculum will be a modular approach. Developmental students will be able to complete the curriculum in an academic year.
- The new curriculum will be flexible to allow students to complete their required developmental math requirements at a pace that is appropriate to their needs and knowledge.
- Diagnostic testing will assure appropriate placement in modules.
- Each college will implement the new modular curriculum in a way that is appropriate for the needs and resources of the college.
- The modules will be rich in context and conceptual understanding.
Starting in Fall 2013, FTCC will offer the new Developmental Math (DMA) modules.
Office of the Registrar